Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
At Marine Academy we truly believe that every young person should have equal access to education. As a school we are committed to offering an inclusive curriculum to ensure that the best possible progress is made for all of our students whatever their needs or abilities. We do our utmost to support students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), ensuring all students’ needs are met within the classroom with high quality differentiated and personalised teaching.
The school works hard to ensure that students are accurately identified and that any barriers to student accessing their learning are addressed. The school works as a close knit community to facilitate support, both long term and short term, for a wide range of individual student needs. This support is provided in a variety of ways:
- Early identification of those students who have additional needs on transition from Primary school – offering and supporting enhanced transition
- Building trusting relationships with parents / carers – meeting regularly
- High quality differentiated and personalised teaching in mainstream classes
- Specialist programmes – by extraction in small groups or one-to-one. The school has a well-equipped specialist literacy room as well as other more specialist intervention rooms
- Experienced Teaching Assistants who work within the Well Being Zone
- In class IT support.
- Work closely with other external agencies to seek advice and support.
- Access to supportive lunch and break time in the Well Being Zone
- Personalised provision where appropriate
- Enhanced transition into year 7Enhanced Careers advice
- Enhanced transition to post-16 – support from the Transition Coordinator, taster days, additional visits to colleges and other providers.
As a school we strongly believe that Students with special educational needs and disabilities should be fully integrated into the educational and social life of the school, have their needs met whilst accessing a full curriculum and experience success. More information can be found in the SEND Policy (link below). Further information about SEND provision across Plymouth can also be found on the Plymouth Online Directory (POD).